December 20, 2018
- China yesterday said it opposed the 「weaponization」 of space, as it criticized US President Donald Trump’s orders to create a new command center for controlling military space operations.
- Hua Chunying, spokesperson of China’s Foreign Ministry, said she was unaware of the report on a third Canadian citizen detained in China at a daily news briefing in Beijing yesterday.
- The United States said it has begun withdrawing its forces from Syria as it winds up its campaign to retake territory once held by Islamic State.
- The Shanghai Metro is being extended to Chongming Island as part of the 2018-2023 construction planning of the city’s Metro network approved by the National Development and Reform Commission.
- Junked bikes littering neighborhoods are a big headache for residential committees, and also an eyesore. But in Yikangyuan community in Jing’an District, the eyesore has been turned into eye-catching art installations.
- A number of aquatic products including an ark clam (Scapharca subcrenata) and blood cockle (Tegillarca granosa) can no longer be sold in the city, according to a notice released yesterday. With disease control and food safety top priorities of city health authorities, the high risk of contraction of viral hepatitis A from both shellfish necessitated an outright ban.
- Twenty new sightseeing buses featuring facial recognition and AI have been put into service in the city.
- Once a remote area on China’s Loess Plateau, Yan’an, a former revolutionary base in Shaanxi Province, has become a popular 「red tourism」 destination.
- A study by Chinese researchers has shown that texting on a mobile phone can enable smokers to give up the habit.
- Shared bike service ofo has failed to provide a timetable for the return of riders’ deposits, with more than 10 million people now in the queue.
- Northwest China’s Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region has capped 284 oil wells, with a total annual output of nearly 70,000 tons, to return land to wild animals at the Kalamayli Nature Reserve.
- Britain’s House of Commons erupted in anger yesterday when Labour opposition leader Jeremy Corbyn appeared to mouth the words 「stupid woman」 after a lively exchange with Prime Minister Theresa May.
- South African police said yesterday that an arrest warrant had been issued for Grace Mugabe, wife of former Zimbabwean president Robert Mugabe, after she allegedly assaulted a model in Johannesburg in 2017.
- A 10-year-old girl has died after undergoing female genital mutilation during an initiation into a secret women’s society in Sierra Leone, police said yesterday, sparking renewed calls for the practice to be banned.
- Worker-starved Germany decided yesterday to ease immigration rules to attract foreign job-seekers and replenish its aging workforce, despite mounting public resistance against new arrivals.
- Shanghai’s banks have been at the very forefront of China’s reform and opening-up, offering innovative financial products and lending great support to the country’s economic development over the past four decades, industry experts said at a recent event hosted by the Shanghai Banking Association.
- Infringing product links and unauthorized online content of popular animated character Peppa Pig are being heavily tackled in China.
- Didi said it has finalized its safety upgrade efforts following orders from the Ministry of Transport to improve security in the wake of the murder of two Didi Hitch passengers earlier this year.
- Manchester City has terminated the contract of its women’s team striker Nadia Nadim, ending the 11-month tenure of the Denmark international, the club announced yesterday.
- Promoted Fortuna Duesseldorf stunned Borussia Dortmund with a 2-1 win on Tuesday, dealing the leader its first Germany Bundesliga loss of the season.
- Russian Deputy Prime Minister Vitaly Mutko, who was banned from the Olympics for life because of the country’s doping scandals, has resigned as president of the Russian Football Union.
- Zan Kranjec became the first Slovenian skier to win a men’s World Cup giant slalom yesterday, less than two hours after countrywoman Ilka Stuhec won a women’s super-G in Italy.
www.shine.cnto explore more