Bright spark到底是「聰明人」還是「蠢蛋」?

尋夢新聞LINE@每日推播熱門推薦文章,趣聞不漏接❤️

加入LINE好友

Bright spark到底是“聰明人”還是“蠢蛋”?

Hello, this The English We Speak. I’m Feifei.

大家好,歡迎來到BBC地道英語,我是菲菲。

And hello, I’m Rob.

大家好,我是羅伯。

Hey, Rob. You know we’ve got a ‘bright spark’ in our office?

嘿,羅伯,你知道咱們辦公室有一個「bright spark」嗎?

A bright spark?

聰明人?

Oh yes – by that you mean someone intelligent…

哦,當然——你的意思是一個很有智慧的人……

Well…

嗯……

Someone full of energy…

一個充滿活力的人……

I didn’t exactly…

實際上我並不是……

Someone with clever ideas.

總是有好主意的人。

Feifei, there’s no need to waste everyone’s time.

菲菲,我們沒必要浪費大家的時間了。

Just say my name! Rob is the bright spark in the office.

直接說我的名字吧!羅伯是辦公室里最機智、聰明的人。

Ermm… Rob, that is just one definition of ‘a bright spark’.

呃……羅伯,你說的只是「Bright spark」的其中一個意思。

A bright spark can describe someone who is clever, intelligent with lots of energy.

它可以描述一個精明的、生氣勃勃的人。

But this isn’t the definition that applies to you Rob!

不過這個意思可不適用於你呀,羅伯。

So come on, Feifei. When else would you describe someone as ‘a bright spark’?

別這樣,菲菲。如果你形容某人是「bright spark」,還有什麼其他的意思嗎?

Well, it can be used sarcastically and humorously to describe someone who thinks they are intelligent but actually does something stupid.

好吧,這也可以是一種諷刺或者幽默的表達方式,形容那些自認為聰明,但實際上很蠢的人。

A bit like this…

差不多就是這樣……

Which bright spark suggested we go for a walk on the wettest day of the year?!

是哪個蠢貨建議我們要在一年中下雨最大的時候出去散步的?

Come on, own up – who’s the bright spark who turned the power off and caused everything in the freezer to melt?

天哪,快承認吧——是哪個自作聰明的人關了電源,讓冰箱里面的東西都融化了?

Are you the bright spark who told the other team our game plan? I think you owe us an apology.

是你這個笨蛋向別的隊伍透露了我們的計劃?我覺得你必須得道歉。

This is The English We Speak from BBC Learning English.

這里是BBC英語教學的《地道英語》節目。

And we’ve discovered that ‘a bright spark’ can either be a very smart person or someone who has done something stupid.

在本集節目里,我們討論了「bright spark」的兩個意思。一個意思是「聰明人」,而另一個意思則是「蠢人」。

So I’m sorry to say, Rob, you are the second kind of bright spark!

所以不好意思,羅伯,你是「bright spark」的第二層意思!

Oh really. Why is that?

真的嗎?為什麼?

You left the window open last night and this morning I found all my documents and s blown all over the floor.

昨天晚上你沒有關窗戶,今早我發現我的文件和腳本被吹得滿地都是。

Are you sure?

你確定嗎?

A bright spark like me would never do something like that.

像我這樣的「聰明人」絕對不會犯這種錯誤的。

Rob, it’s exactly what a bright spark like you might do – and it means I’ve lost the last page of this .

羅伯,這確實是像你這樣的「笨蛋」會做的事——也就是說,我找不到腳本的最後一頁了。

Oh really! I think I can remember what it said.

真的嗎?我想我記得最後一頁寫的什麼。

Something like – ‘Sorry, Rob. You are wise and clever and the brightest spark I have ever known’.

差不多就是——對不起,羅伯,你是我見過的最有智慧、最聰明、最精力充沛的人。

I don’t think so, Rob.

我可不這樣想,羅伯。

Which bright spark would write something as cringey as that?

那個聰明人會寫這麼尷尬的腳本?

Err… Time to go I think.

呃……我想我們該走了。

Good idea. Bye.

好主意,拜拜~

Bye.

拜~

英文來源:BBC Learning English

圖片來源於網路,侵權請聯繫刪除

期 回 顧