食物過敏變得越來越普遍了嗎?| 六分鐘英語

尋夢新聞LINE@每日推播熱門推薦文章,趣聞不漏接❤️

加入LINE好友

食物過敏變得越來越普遍了嗎?| 六分鐘英語 健康 第1張

食物過敏變得越來越普遍了嗎?| 六分鐘英語 健康 第2張

Hello and welcome to 6 Minute English. I’m Neil.

大家好,歡迎來到六分鐘英語。我是尼爾。

And, hello, I’m Rob.

大家好,我是羅伯。

In 6 Minute English we often talk about food, don’t we, Rob?

在六分鐘英語中,我們經常談到食物,不是嗎,羅伯?

Oh yes! And I love food. It’s a very important topic.

噢,是的。而且我喜歡食物。它是非常重要的話題。

We know that too much of the wrong kind of food can be bad for our health.

我們知道很多錯誤的食物對我們的健康有害。

But there is another way that food can be harmful for some people.

但是食物對一些人是有害還有另一種方式。

Yes, you’re right.

是的。

Some people have food allergies.

有些人會食物過敏。

They can become very ill if they eat certain foods such as peanuts, shellfish, milk and so on.

如果他們吃一些特定的食物,如花生、貝類、牛奶等,他們會病的得很厲害。

So, Neil, do you have any food allergies?

所以尼爾,你對食物過敏嗎?

Fortunately I don’t, but my daughter is allergic to tree nuts,and so she gets very ill if she eats those.

幸運的是我不會食物過敏,但是我女兒對堅果過敏,所以如果她吃了堅果,她就會病得很重。

Oh dear!

天啊!

Well, it seems as if there are more food allergies these days, or more people have them. Or maybe it’s just in the news more.

好吧,似乎現在食物過敏的情況更多了,或者說更多的人會食物過敏。也可能只是新聞報導中食物過敏的例子太多了。

Well, that’s a very interesting point because that is the topic of this programme.

好的,這是一個非常有趣的觀點,因為那是本期節目的主題。

Before we find out more though, here is our question.

然而在我們了解更多之前,這里是我們的問題。

One of the most common food allergies is to peanuts.

花生是最常見的過敏食物之一。

Now, what kind of food is a peanut?

花生是哪種食物?

Is it: A) a vegetable B) a nut or C) a legume?

是:A)蔬菜 B) 堅果 還是 C) 豆類?

Oh, come on! A peanut is a nut! There’s a clue in the name there, Neil!

得了吧!花生是堅果!名字里就有線索,尼爾!

But that would be too easy, wouldn’t it?

但那簡單了,不是嗎?

So I’m going to say that I’ve got no idea what a legume is, so that’s my answer. C.

我不知道豆類是什麼,所以那就是我的答案。C。

I’ll have the answer at the end of the programme.

我將在節目最後揭曉答案。

To
help answer the question as to whether food allergies are more common
now, here’s Dr Adam Fox, who was speaking on The Food Programme on BBC
Radio 4.

為幫助回答「食物過敏現在是否更常見」這個問題,亞當·福克斯博士做客BBC廣播4頻道《食品》節目。

Does he think there has been an increase?

他認為食物過敏的例子增加了嗎?

I
think we can be very confident if you look back over, say, 30 or 40
years that there are much more allergic problems around now than there
were.

如果你回顧過去,比如說30或40年,我們能非常確信現在的過敏問題比以前多得多。

So,
for example, very robust studies that look at prevalence of things like
eczema, food allergy do show really significant increases over 20, 30
years, for example.

所以,關於濕疹,食物過敏等疾病普遍率的精確研究確實表明它們在過去20到30年間都有顯著增加。

Has there been an increase?

有所增加嗎?

Well, yes. He says there have been significant increases.

好吧,是的。他說有顯著增加。

This means there has been a ‘clear and obvious rise’.

這意味著有清楚明顯的增加。

Why does he think that?

為什麼他那樣認為?

He said that there have been robust studies.

他說有精確研究。

A
study is a piece of research and if you say a study is robust, it means
that it was ‘very detailed and conducted thoroughly to a high
standard’.

study是指研究,如果你說一項研究是robust,那就是說它非常詳細,經過操作非常標準。

He said that these studies looked at the prevalence of a few things.

他說這些研究觀察了一些事物的普遍程度。

Prevalence is a noun that refers to how common something is, how often it happens.

「prevalence」是一個名詞,指某事有多常見,發生的頻率有多高。

One of the things they looked at as well as food allergies was eczema.

他們觀察的食物過敏症狀之一就是濕疹。

This is a skin condition that usually happens in childhood.

這種皮膚病通常發生在孩童時期。

The skin can get, red, itchy and painful over different parts of the body.

身體不同部位的皮膚會發紅、發癢和疼痛。

Here’s Dr Fox again.

再聽福克斯博士說一遍。

I
think we can be very confident, if you look back over, say, 30 or 40
years that there are much more allergic problems around now than there
were.

如果你回顧過去,比如說30或40年,我們能非常確信現在的過敏問題比以前多得多。

So,
for example, very robust studies that look at prevalence of things like
eczema, food allergy do show really significant increases over 20, 30
years, for example.

所以,例如,關於濕疹,食物過敏等疾病普遍率的精確研究確實表明它們在20到30年間都有顯著增加。

So what is the reason for the increase in food allergies? Is it genetics?

所以食物過敏增加的原因是什麼?是遺傳?

Dr Fox again.

再聽一下福克斯博士是怎麼說的。

We certainly can’t put it down to genetics.

我們當然不能把它歸因於遺傳。

And we now understand that there is a key role for eczema.

我們可以將其理解為濕疹發生的重要原因。

So,
there’s a pretty direct relationship between whether you’ve got eczema
during infancy and your likelihood of getting a food allergy.

所以,嬰兒時期是否患有濕疹和食物過敏之間有直接關係。

Is it genetics?

是遺傳嗎?

No, he says ‘you can’t put it down to genetics’ which means ‘you can’t explain it’ by genetics.

不,他說你不能把它歸因於遺傳,那指的是你不能只用遺傳解釋它。

In fact, according to the research, if you have eczema as a child, you are more likely to develop food allergies.

事實上,根據調查研究,如果你在兒童時期患有濕疹,你更有可能患上食物過敏。

Here’s Dr Fox one more time.

再來聽一遍福克斯博士的解釋。

We certainly can’t put it down to genetics.

我們當然不能把它歸因於遺傳。

And we now understand that there is a key role for eczema.

我們可以將其理解為濕疹發生的重要原因。

So,
there’s a pretty direct relationship between whether you’ve got eczema
during infancy and your likelihood of getting a food allergy.

所以,嬰兒時期是否患有濕疹和食物過敏之間有直接關係。

OK! Now, time to review our vocabulary, but first, let’s have the answer to the quiz question.

好的!現在,是時候回顧詞匯了,但首先,讓我們來揭曉測試題的答案。

I asked: what kind of food is a peanut?Is it: A) a vegetable B) a nut C) a legume?What did you say, Rob?

我問:花生是什麼類型的食物?是A蔬菜,B堅果還是C豆類?羅伯,你剛才說什麼?

I said C) a legume, because that was only one I didn’t know,and it can’t be as simple as being a nut!An inspired guess!

我說是C)豆類,因為那是我唯一不知道的,而且答案不可能像堅果那樣簡單!只是一個來自直覺的猜測!

If you said C) legume, then congratulations.Despite the name, a peanut is not actually a nut.

如果你選的是C)豆類,那麼恭喜你。盡管名字相似,但花生實際上並不是堅果。

Rather
conveniently though, we don’t have time for me to explain exactly why
it’s not a nut, but I’m sure you’re smart enough to look it up yourself.

雖然很方便,但是我們沒有時間解釋為什麼它不是堅果,但是我相信你會聰明地自己查閱。

So, you’re not going to explain it?

所以,你不打算解釋一下?

No, sorry, we don’t have the time.

不了,抱歉,我們沒時間了。

Sounds to me like you’re allergic to hard work, Neil!

這在我聽起來像是你對努力工作過敏,尼爾!

Nice link to today’s vocabulary.

來復習下今天的詞匯。

We do have time for that.

我們有時間講這個。

Today we’ve been looking at the topic of food allergies.

今天我們一直在談食物過敏的話題。

This is when a particular food causes a medical problem.

講的是一種特殊的食物引起的醫學問題。

The problem could be minor or it could be very serious, even fatal and these are called allergic reactions.

這個問題可能很小,也可能很嚴重,甚至致命,而且這些被稱為過敏反應。

The topic has been investigated with robust studies.

這一主題已經通過準確的研究進行調查。

This is research that has been done in a very detailed, accurate and thorough way.

這是一項非常詳細、準確和徹底的研究。

The next word was the noun prevalence.

下一個詞是名詞「普遍」。

This is used to talk about how common or how frequent something is.

這個詞被用來描述某事有多常見或多頻繁。

In this research, they examined the prevalence of food allergies in certain age groups.

在這項研究中,他們對特定年齡組的食物過敏患病率進行檢測。

Closely connected to food allergies is eczema.

濕疹與食物過敏密切相關。

This is a medical condition that makes your skin dry, painful and itchy over different parts of the body.

這是一種使你身體不同部位的皮膚乾燥、疼痛和發癢的疾病。

It was reported that there had a been a significant increase in the number of people suffering from eczema and food allergies.

據報導,患有濕疹和食物過敏的人數顯著增加。

A significant increase is a big and important increase.

顯著增長是一個巨大而重要的增長。

And finally we had the phrase to put something down to something.

最後我們學了短語put something down to something。

This means ‘to say one thing is the reason for another’.

這意味著「說一件事是另一件事的原因」。

In this case, you couldn’t put the increase in food allergies down to genetics.

在這種情況下,你不能把食物過敏的增加歸因於遺傳。

You know what I put the success of 6 Minute English down to?

你知道我把六分鐘英語的成功歸因於什麼嗎?

No, what’s that, Rob?

不知道,是什麼,羅伯?

Your great knowledge of different subjects and skill as a presenter and communicator.

你對不同主題的豐富知識以及作為演講者和溝通者的技巧。

Well, that’s very kind of you…

嗯,你真是太好了……

but I still don’t have time to explain what a legume is!

但是我還是沒有時間解釋豆類是什麼!

In fact now it’s time to wrap up this edition of 6 Minute English.

現在是時候結束這一期的《六分鐘英語》了。

We look forward to your company again soon.

我們期待著您的再次參與。

In the meantime, check us out in all the usual places, online and on social media.

與此同時,在所有常見的地方查找我們,網上和社交媒體。

We are BBC Learning English.

我們是BBC學英語。

Bye for now!

再見了!

Goodbye!

再見!

來源:BBC Learning English

圖片來源於網路,侵權請聯繫刪除

食物過敏變得越來越普遍了嗎?| 六分鐘英語 健康 第3張

食物過敏變得越來越普遍了嗎?| 六分鐘英語 健康 第4張

食物過敏變得越來越普遍了嗎?| 六分鐘英語 健康 第3張

食物過敏變得越來越普遍了嗎?| 六分鐘英語 健康 第6張

華為起訴美國政府,外交部回應:完全正當,可以理解

“To keep the wolf from the door”跟「狼」可沒什麼關係 | 地道英語

挪威天團「神秘園」最新單曲,讓你身心寧靜的歌曲 | Strength

食物過敏變得越來越普遍了嗎?| 六分鐘英語 健康 第7張

食物過敏變得越來越普遍了嗎?| 六分鐘英語 健康 第9張

更多精彩內容,請點擊閱讀原文

About 尋夢園
尋夢園是台灣最大的聊天室及交友社群網站。 致力於發展能夠讓會員們彼此互動、盡情分享自我的平台。 擁有數百間不同的聊天室 ,讓您隨時隨地都能找到志同道合的好友!